Thursday, September 15, 2011

Camelot

Finally Camelot is on CBC in Canada. I love Arthurian tales, which I will talk about after, but first, this show look amazing and I have been waiting for it to start! It has a great cast and looks like it will offer more than just the same old story, but a rougher, sexier, grittier version of the tale. I am all for the nudity ;) Joseph Fiennes (Remember he was Will Shakespeare in Love?) plays Merlin, the wizard. He is menacing and powerful and a bit scary. Jaime Campbell Bower (HP and Twilight Saga) plays Arthur who discovers he is heir to the throne and taken by Merlin to be king. Tamsin Egerton plays the beautiful Guinevere, I can't wait to see her more. Eva Green (Golden Compass) plays Morgan le Fay, the evil half-sister sorceress who yearns to be Queen, so much she kills her father (Uther), the king in the first episode. She plays evil so well! The costumes, the sets, the details are all so perfect. A little known fact about me is that I took every single (no joke) English and English Literature class my university offered over the course of 5 years. I have read great pieces such as Thomas Malroy's Le Morte d'Arthur, Chrétien de Troyes's Yvain, Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain, and several others. Many of my courses dealt with the Arthurian legends. I even took specific Arthurian courses... so needless to say I have studied a lot about King Arthur and the knights of the round table. So this mini-series has me ECSTATIC - - - I love all the interpretations of the stories and this show seems like it will have a great perspective. It certainly has a great cast and the first episode intrigued me! I know it was available on dvd but I am happy to watch on CBC weekly for now!