Friday, June 4, 2010

Kristen Stewarts "Rape" Remark

Maybe I am Late to the Party, maybe I just don't care enough, but most likely there is just ALWAYS some friggin controversy in the Twilight Fandom and I get absolutely exhausted with it!

Twilight Examiner Summarized it here very well:

As soon as Kristen Stewart's interview with ELLE UK was revealed, things started to get a bit intense.

Her choice of words, in referring to the onslaught of paparazzi attention she receives thanks to her international Twilight fame, of "[t]he photos are so… I feel like I'm looking at someone being raped" were regarded by some rape crisis groups as "regrettable."

Fox News issued the story a few days ago, quoting a representative from Rape and Incest National Network (among others) to issue dismay over the comment: "Portraying a rape survivor in the film ‘Speak’ should have led her to use a more appropriate metaphor to describe the intrusive nature of the paparazzi. Rape is more than an intrusion, it's a violent crime, that causes serious long term mental health effects for victims."

Last night, the buzz began back up again on this issue when it was reported that Stewart would be issuing a public apology for her statement.

A brief, unofficial survey of Twitter responses brought forth a split in Twilight fan reactions, with some fans lauding her boldness and defending the word choice (as well as trending #IsupportKristenStewart) and others saying that they understood the meaning of her statement as well as concerns about the particular term at hand.

Today, Kristen Stewart has issued an apology via People Magazine.

"I really made an enormous mistake – clearly and obviously," she told the publication. "And I'm really sorry about my choice of words."

"I've made stupid remarks before, and I've always reasoned: 'Whatever. They can think what they want," she continued. With this particular set of words, though, she indicated that the metaphor could've been more aptly phrased. "'Violated' definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought."

Though she seems to stand firm on the sentiment of her interview, she did seem to get the sensitive nature of her word choice and concluded, "People thinking that I'm insensitive about this subject rips my guts out. I made a big mistake."

Your thoughts?


Mandy's Mind - She chose poor words, she often does, but she realized after that it was a VERY poor choice of words, so she apologied, publicly, which she often doe NOT do (as sited in People Magazine,'Whatever. They can think what they want,") But it is done, it is dealt with, let's move on?

[Twilight Examiner]

1 comment:

wig4usc said...

Personally, I get it and I get why she used the words she did. It's all relative, she feels violated....rape is a word I associate with that feeling as well. The apology was sincere, none of us could survive constant scrutiny of what we say, none of us.