Saturday, November 14, 2009

Interview with Kellan Lutz

If you don't know who Kellan Lutz is yet, you're not a screaming fan of last year's hit vampire movie "Twilight."

Lutz is the 24-year-old South Dakota-born actor who plays Emmett Cullen, one of the vampire siblings of Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), the hunky romantic interest of human teenager Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart).

The "Twilight" sequel "New Moon" opens next Thursday, and unless you've been hiding in a coffin for two years, you already know that.

I saw down with Lutz, a physical actor in the Steve McQueen mold, to talk about vampires and taking on the new Freddy Krueger.

How do you approach playing an old vampire playing a human teen.

"It's really unique that Stephenie Meyer created vampires who are trying to portray and act like humans," Lutz said. "We found it difficult in the cast to wear the contacts and to show emotion. It's kind of hard to do that, especially when you can't really see the person right in front of you so clearly. It's definitely tough to move like a vampire."

What's so different about the Cullen vampires?

"We're not trying to show off that we're vampires, or that we have special skills, or that we're invincible," Lutz replied. "We're trying to portray humans, but we're vampires who've lived hundreds of years. We try to take that into account with the wardrobe we wear, how we move, how we speak. It's a lot to do.

"We're not just playing vampires who are 20 years old. We're playing vampires who are hundreds of years old portraying a 20-year-old human, or teenage vampires. It's definitely a unique spin on trying to be human and trying to fit."

How did new Director Chris Weitz differ from the original director, Catherine Hardwicke?

"They're very different directors," Lutz said. "The first movie no one saw it as a huge studio movie. With the budget she had and the time she had, she (Hardwicke) brought that artsy, beautiful quality she had, and that soft tone to 'Twilight.' I loved it. She had this energy that was so raw and contagious, there was never a dead or dry period on the set.

"There was a whole different vibe with 'New Moon.' With Chris, he's just a chill guy, he's super calm and collected, and he was prepared so much for 'New Moon' that ... it was a great weight off our shoulders. It didn't even seem like a job."

What do you enjoy outside a movie set?

"I'm very athletic," he said. "I like being outside. Roughhousing with my dog. Or with friends playing football. I like to swim and box."

When did you discover acting, especially since you attended Chapman University in California as a chemistry student?

"I ran into this lady at Ralph's, which is a local grocery store, and she asked if I was the guy from 'One Tree Hill.'(Chad Michael Murray). She said, 'You don't act?' I said, 'No, I'm a student.' She said, 'You should be an actor.' From that day on, my eyes were opened. I took acting classes. I was an extra. I found this passion I never knew existed. I just went along with it."

What are your thoughts about taking on Jackie Earl Haley as the new Freddy Krueger in the upcoming reboot of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" franchise.

"Doing the revamp of this for a new generation, well, it takes a lot of stuff to scare our generation nowadays because there's so much guts and gore out there," Lutz said. "You've got to put a new spin on it. You've got to make it a psychological thriller more than just blood. To become a member of this new franchise is awesome. Jackie Earl Haley is amazing. And it's a Michael Bay film!"

And?

"I grew up loving Freddy," Lutz confessed. "I felt he was the only thing that scared me growing up, because he attacks you in your dreams. If I don't have control, if I can't shoot something or fight something off, that's scary. Dreams are supposed to be happy. Then you've got this guy with the glove trying to kill you in your sleep!"

Speaking of dreams, what's your dream job?

"I would love to act for the rest of my life," Lutz said. "I'd like to be a new action hero. I'd love to play Matt Damon's brother in 'Bourne,' as in 'Bourne Ultimatum, Again.' I love action heroes who get shot and bleed, but then can still kick some butt.

"I'd love to work with Sylvester Stallone. I'd love to work with Jason Statham and Daniel Craig. All these guys I look up to. I love shooting guns and blowing stuff up."

[source

No comments: