Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quickie 100 Monkeys

I got in very late and slept in today and now I have a lot to get done today before VMA's and the True Blood season 2 finale so...

Here is my "quickie report" on last night's Vancouver 100 Monkey Show.

You can see all my tweets from last night here

The Rickshaw Theatre is in a sketchy part of town.... Although the venue itself is quite large and nicer inside... the website states a capacity of 1000 with 400 seated.

Waiting outside was not enjoyable. They opened the doors a bit late, the tickets had said the show was 8pm - 11pm but it went later and had two opening acts instead of just one.

The venue got really hot, really fast.

There was a souvenir table to the left of the stage as well as a bar. Everyone had been I.D's outside in line and had pink wristbands to show they were over 19 (legal drinking age in Canada)

Although it was an all-ages show I didn't see as many younger girls as I expected.

The first act was pretty good - he will in a new band "The Orphans" which will play at Rickshaw Theatre in October.

Second up was Thee Manipulators. They were in matching outfits of black with red ties and I personally didn't like them as much as 100 Monkeys but they did have a guy come rap with them for their first number which was interesting and fun.

The contest winners from tv and radio show as well as a few lucky audience memebers who had been chosen, went backstage and got photos and autographs with the band. Jackson named the unborn baby ofVVLao who went backstage. How fun!

Because of the heat I was outside alot for air. While outside I chatted with Marty (The Bananagment) and asked about the Banana Outfit. He told me they go through a lot of them and just didn't grab one before this show. Boo!

I remember at 100 Monkeys Show in April posing for photos with him in the Banana Outfit. Read about it here

After Thee Manipulators there was a lot of reshuffling and movement on the stage to prepare.

I saw three security rush to the side stage and then out came 100 Monkeys from the back side door. I went up to the side front of the stage.

The crowd went NUTS! and I think as Jackson walked out on stage the screams (if possible) got a little bit louder.... he did look great....

The band rotated around on the instruments seeming to tune them and just check everything was in order.

Because of the crowds, the heat, and the 3 young girls standing behind me I planned to jsut take a few photos and videos at the start then go back to my seat (we had awesome front row seats to the side in front of the sound guy - just 2 rows 8 seats for a few of us to sit togethers.

So as I was shooting photos of the band getting ready I saw the side door open and in walked Elizabeth Reaser, Nikki Reed and her boyfriend Paris Latsis. Rumour was Bryce had come in through the front door but I didn't see her at all the entire night so I can't confirm that. Later people were saying she was not there, so I have no clue.

They stood at side stage for a few minutes and I shot some fantastic photos of them all. Then they were ushered across the stage to the other side and up into a balcony type side stage viewing area. We could still see them sitting and Nikki was rocking out and very excited to see the band.

This reminded me of the April show when she was in the front row rocking out and dancing to the band. I am a total Nikki fan, and I loved seeing her enjoying herself with her friends.

There were other people with them and at first i thought one of them was Sage (Nikki's friend) but later (after a tweet from a friend saying Sage was in Nashville and then getting a close rlook) it was indeed not Sage. My mistake.

The set was awesome. They did their "invent a song" and the word chosen was "Acorn" (much more innocent a word given than at a lot of shows.... then again it was an all-ages show)

I was walking back inside from another "air breaK" due to the heat inside and a friend ran up to me and said "Stephenie Meyer is right behind you" i turned around and sure enough there she was....

I went up to her and asked if I could get a photo with her once we weren't in such a busy area (I didn't want to draw attention to her as she had been unnoticed mostly thus far"

She smile dand said "Sure" and got her VIP wristband put on then leaned over to me. I took this to mean to take a photo now and by that point a few people were snapping photos from a far so I leaned in to take a photo with her and a lady she was with said "that's not very nice" and stephenie said it was ok and she smiled at me, I thanked her and she headed up to go to the VIP area. I told the lady she was with after that I had asked to take the photos first. I also told the man she was with that meeting Stephenie was one of the best moments ever!

I had tweeted that Stephenie came to see her fave scene the tent scene but I need to clarify that -

I have heard from interviews that Stephenie always comes to watch her favourite scenes be shot.

She is in town now.

She watched 100 Monkeys.

Based on them filming the tent scene Friday I DEDUCE that it is one of her fave scenes and she was here to see it being filmed.

I am sorry if the wording of my tweet made it seem like something else.

The rest of the show rocked.

The Cast mentioned as well as Stephenie and many others I did not know, seemed to enjoy the show also.

The fans were loving it despite the heat. The sound was clear and good - they did a lot of the slower songs and people were just rocking out!

The show itself overall was great and I can do a break down (and hopefully a play list/set list) later but right now I have to go get some things done - this evening is VMAs and I promise to get more 100 Monkey details up as well as the videos and photos from last night :)

100 Monkeys are amazing performers and rumour is they will have another show in Vancouver announced VERY soon :)

After the show I chatted with some of the 100 Monkeys and we saw Jackson leave... I will save those details for my next blog as I really do have to get going to get stuff done before tonight's VMAs

thanks for reading :)

No comments: