Friday, September 18, 2009

100 Monkey Venue Drama

I heard earlier today that 100 Monkeys wouldn't be at Anza Club (from a friend who knows the owners of the venue) I promised not to say anything until it was officially announced because #1 - We hoped they'd figure it out or #2 - We hoped they'd just announce a new location....

Sadly it was #2 and a HUGE downgrade....

They are going to try to pack 100 people into Neptoon Records which is a store and a small one at that. Last time they did a brief concert and autograph signing there I did not go but heard it was fairly chaotic.

I have met the manager (Bananager) and actually given him shit over the venues he books. I mean BackStageLounge I get... but it's small and the air circulation is crap. Rickshaw was an epic fail as far as putting all-ages in there, no air circulation, located in the WORST part of Vancouver [no joke] I actually joked with Marty that he needed to book better venues...

I thought since Sunday sold out so quickly, adding the Saturday Night Show would be awesome. Especially since it's a nice venue. But now we all paid $25 to go to a store to watch them play - a store that they played at a few months ago for free - and worst of all - store that has no booze!!

Call me a whiner - i don't care.... I would much rather them honour our tickets for a rescheduled show at the venue they were supposed to be at Saturday - or another location of equal fun....

and for people from out of town coming for Saturday's show - let their ticket act as a VIP express entry and everyone else can come in for free or $5 after them.

that's just how I would do it - I used to book bands and still do event planning (5000 person events!!!!) so I have some experience with these things....

Ah Well - it will be fun for who ever goes - maybe I am just a 100 Monkey Snob lmao! I don't think I am along though... #reschedule100Monkeys made it's rounds on twitter LOL

Are you going to any of the Vancouver Shows? What are you thoughts on it all?

4 comments:

nucksgrl said...

i am super pissed! i have tix for sundays show, but vancityrockgirl and i were gonna make it girls night part deux tomorrow.
i would love it if they reschedule a show at the anza and honor our tix. i feel like we're being taken advantage of for paying to go to what seems like an in store appearance.
if you speak to the bananager again, you should let him know how i feel, or if there's a way for me to contact him, i will voice my own opinion (politely).
i also know a bit about event planning. i know even more about event programming (i do that for a living for a LARGE comapny) so maybe we could help them out a bit and actually get them to perform at a decent venue...

QuiltNut Creations said...

i'm not going but it sounds like an utter disaster waiting to happen

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I'm not anywhere near enough to go. But my thoughts are......... That someone knowledgeable like YOU, ought to make some contact with Jackson himself.

I see him as someone who is truly dedicated to furthering all parts of his career. And from what you say, this kind of planning for his '100 Monkeys' is not going to further it.

Trouble is, betcha' that artists are so strung out, doing all that goes with their career, that they leave [maybe too much] lots of stuff to the people who work for them. And thus, not really know, if what's being done, is best.

Yes, I'd like for you to contact Jackson himself, in some way, and let your views be known. If he's the nice person, whom he appears to be, he'll be grateful.

'Alice's Aunt Amelia'
Alice's Aunt blog

Misha said...

You're not the only one who gave marty shit about the rickshaw... i was not happy with that venue before they booked it...

the problem with the bookings is... they have JUST started touring... last year they only played LA shows and they dont get very big...

The rickshaw show was one of the biggest (not counting the twi tour shows)

give them some time... im just happy they are all willing to come up here for us...

ps mandy... when you talk to bananager tomorrow night... ask him about more shows... they are in van till nov... see if you can give him some advice on booking them :P LOL

have fun tomorrow night!! (this was longer then i thought it would be LOL)