Monday, July 6, 2009

My own personal vampire.... the allure of the dark side...

My husband says I am obsessed with vampires.... I reply "I'm not... I just really liked Twilight...." and he says "and now True Blood?" well... yess.... "but it's more adult than Twilight" good... and then he says "and what about Buffy?" ok, he's got me.... the allure is there.... "i was a kid then dear!" nice try Mandy, totally busted....

I never *thought* i had a vampire obsession.... but it seems I do.... From Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel the tortured soul... well... souless.... I was hooke don the magic, darkness, mystery of the vampire life... so much I really imagined how it would "BE" if vampires truly exsisted...

then came Twilight, and if you're reading this, well, you all know how that went ;)

recently True Blood got me hooked, and as often happens, once I am hooked I force everyone else to try it and they become hooked too!!!

It's become an obsession, or maybe more of an escape.... I mean, there aren't any "REAL" vampires are there?

Maybe.

I dated a vampire... omg I can't believe I am going to share this.. imagine he reads this...

I was 15 or 16... he joined a rec centre teen committee I chaired and his name was JR... as in "Jay-Are" not "junior"

he had blonde hair which he slicked back and always wore all black.... people joked he was a vampire... he had the fangs... but people have fangs.... he confessed that he was allergic to the sunlight (this was true, he couldn't be out in the sun for long with out breaking out in hives) and also to garlic... LOL.. i never tested this - we only dated a month or so....

he wrote me poetry, worshipped the ground I walked on and was seemingly a perfect man, besides the fact that he creeped everyone out...

if vampires exsisted, i would have believed he was a vampire except for one thing...

we sang a duet one night, the Grease Soundtrack.... I don't think vampires like Grease... but I could be wrong...

Anyways, that was my "vampire" experience.... I am going to go hide in my closet while you all laugh....

Anyways - what is the ALLURE of vampires?

TwiCrackAddict posted this from NY Times:

“The vampire is the new James Dean,” said Julie Plec, the writer and executive producer of “The Vampire Diaries,” a forthcoming series on the CW network based on the popular L. J. Smith novels about high school femmes and hommes fatales. “There is something so still and sexy about these young erotic predators,” she said.

This generation of undead prowls high school hallways and dimly lighted dance clubs as menacing — and as seductive — as they have ever been. The June premiere of the second season of “True Blood,” in which Sookie, played by Anna Paquin, is reunited with her imperious fanged suitor, drew 3.4 million viewers, making it HBO’s most-watched program since the “Sopranos” finale in 2007.

Charlaine Harris has just published “Dead and Gone,” the ninth novel in her Sookie Stackhouse series, variations on Southern Gothic fiction on which “True Blood” is based. The publishing world has been intrigued by “The Strain,” a first installment in a planned trilogy written by the film director Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, about bloodthirsty predators run amok in Manhattan.

The style world, too, has come under the vampire’s spell, in the shape of the gorgeous leather- and lace-clad night crawlers who have crept into the pages of fashion glossies.

Vampires, of course, are part of a hoary tradition that harks back to Nosferatu and Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” at least. Anne Rice updated the genre, introducing the ghoulishly aristocratic vampire Lestat. But the undead are returning with a vengeance, in part because they “personify real-world anxieties,” said Michael Dylan Foster, an assistant professor in the department of folklore at Indiana University in Bloomington.

“Especially during these post-9/11 times of increased vigilance, representations like the ‘Twilight’ series reflect a kind of conspiracy-theory mentality, a fear that there is something secret and dangerous going on in our own community, right under our noses.”

Given all that baggage, what keeps vampires so alluring?

One might point to their combination of deathless good looks and decadent sexuality. Their faces, as described in “Twilight,” “were all devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful. They were faces you never expected to see except perhaps on the airbrushed pages of a fashion magazine.”

Read it all HERE

No comments: